Be careful in consuming whole chia seeds.
A 39-year-old North Carolina man swallowed a spoonful of whole chia seeds, followed by a glass of water.
For two weeks he was unable to swallow anything else, because the chia had gotten stuck at the base of his esophagus and hydrated there into a hard dry ball of chia gel. He needed an endoscopy. His doctor performed one and removed the ball of seeds with difficulty. While inside of him, she took a snapshot with a little endoscopic camera. View this photo if you dare. Eew.
“It got to be this sort of almost Play-Doh-like consistency, very hard in terms of a liquid but also sort of soft,” says Dr. Rebecca Rawl, MD, the gastroenterology fellow at Carolinas HealthCare System who helped treat the patient. As reported by @MandyOaklander at TIME.com.
Citation: Rebecca Rawl MD, MPH, Lauren Browne MD. WATCH IT GROW: ESOPHAGEAL IMPACTION WITH CHIA SEEDS. Program No. P643. ACG 2014 Annual Scientific Meeting Abstracts. Philadelphia, PA: American College of Gastroenterology.
The "Chia Seed Challenge" is an experiment popular among pre-teens like these. The consequences aren't good and could potentially be even more serious than what happens at 3:27, below. Eew. Don't watch.
These stoners tried it, too. (13 views)